SCIENTIFIC PRODUCTION SETTLEMENT IN THE AGGRESSIVE ENVIRONMENT (A LIVING COLONY ON MARS PLANET)
AUTHORS: Katliarskaya Anastasiya,
MENTORSHIP: George Zaborski, Natalia Nemkova, Aleksandr Chadiakov;
PROJECT LOCATION: The Shalbatana valley; Mars;
PROJECTING YEAR: December 2017 - June 2018;
We already live in a future that was seemed impossible half a century ago. In order to keep up with the modern rapidly developing world, we need to set ambitious goals.
Today, one of the major human goals is the colonization of other planets of the solar system. The most possible in the near future is the organization of the colony on the planet Mars. This is primarily a matter of architecture.
Unlike many projects of cities on Mars, we suggest not to go under the thickness of the ground for protection but remain protected on the surface, creating a city in the riverbed of the ancient river.
The city is located in the river bed (Shalbatana valley). The selected location benefits in several factors:
• Closer to the equator. The temperature is higher than at the poles.
• The river bed is located in a valley. The lower and closer location to the core of the planet means stronger the magnetic field is and, therefore, the lower is the level of radiation. As well as an atmospheric density is higher.
• The riverbed provides natural protection against radiation, i.e., two river slopes are protective shields.
Two key aspects of designing city on Mars are protection from space radiation and solar flares and the use of local resources.
1. The city is a multi-layered system.IThis allows each part of the city to work autonomously. Functionally, the zoning of the territory is based on the gradual growth of the city, while the width of the river bed is almost constant more or less about 2 km, the length is always growing as city develops.
2. The flexibility of the city is based more on a quantitative, than on a qualitative way of development. That and the catalog of skyscraper functional cells allows each skyscraper to be made unique both in terms of its functional content and space planning solution.
Functionally, the zoning of the territory is based on the gradual growth of the city, i.e. as the settlement grows, colonists will be able to influence the functional development of the territory.
Skyscrapers have different bearing capacity because they have some freedom in shaping during construction process. Thus, the skyscraper layout system repeats the Voronoi diagram;
The flexibility of the city is based more on a quantitative, than on a qualitative way of development (many simple, but reliable, and not one complex, but risky).
The design solution proposes a set of principal models of functional cells. When they connect to each other from different functional zones.
The catalogue of skyscraper cells allows each skyscraper to be made unique both in terms of its functional content and space planning solution.
Construction technology of cells: Polyethylene bubbles are inflating, at the same time robots-printers print along their contours and intersections bearing ribs from carbon and basalt. These ribs also provide infrastructure: sewage, water supply, electricity, etc.
It is important to note that polyethylene has the property of protection against radiation and at the same time it is transparent and the most important the material can be obtained on site. The carrying capacity of such cells is provided by the pressure difference inside and outside the cell and the printed bearing ribs of basalt and carbon.
Model of the skyscraper
The skyscraper has mono-zonal zoning, so the production zone is below the skyscraper, the research zone is above, a residential area is in the middle of the skyscraper and vertical farms are on top, because there is the strongest radiation, which is not so terrible for plants.
Skyscrapers descend into the ground for mining, extracting water from a water-carrying layer. Part of it is splitting into oxygen, which is necessary for humans and hydrogen for fuel and polyethylene.
The atrium provides the skyscraper with light. And also vertical communications are inside the atrium.
The first skyscraper includes all the functions necessary for the construction, research and normal existence of people. Others skyscrapers are flexible and adapt to the needs of people and the production process.
The set of functions and their percentage ratio are determined based on the following factors:
• Number of inhabitants
• Existing functions
• The height of the skyscraper
• Required functions
• Load bearing capacity
After that, the functions are distributed vertically, which are affected by the following factors:
• The required amount of natural light
• Location of the skyscraper
• Radiation level
• Cell Density
Outside the structure, skyscrapers are a repository of protective robots carrying panels with the ground. During a solar flare, these robots cover the primary dome cells filled with ice. Electromagnetic transmission lines (public transport) are drawn between the skyscrapers. During a solar flare, maximum energy is sent here to create an electromagnetic field, to protect against alpha and beta particles.